Friday, August 22, 2008

unfair. so unfair.

I sit here and I wait. I wait for feedback on a recommendation I've been working on for the past week and a half (that a certain someone had in her inbox for 3 days).

I requested two months ago to use my "summer coupon" today. That would mean that I would get to leave work at 12:15 and enjoy an afternoon off. I made it clear that today, is especially important to me since it's the start of me and Steve's 3 year anniversary.

These coupons are really only to be used if and when all your work is done for the day. I get it...I really do, but this is my problem. It just so happens that each time that I've requested to take a summer coupon, I don't get to leave at 12;15. Both times so far I left the office around 3:00 - 3:30pm. One time, I went home and worked until 6:30pm! My team members though (except for one workaholic) happen to be able to leave right on the dot at 12:15. There's no one to blame, as the coupons are really meant to be taken if your work is done. My work has been done, but is now waiting for the "big boss lady" to review it for the second time. After she has given me her blessing, I need to send it to my client and walk her through it. The minutes are just flying by and I'm realizing that I'm missing my 1/2 day off with Steve. Today is the day we get to pick up his gift too, and I really wanted to be there for that. I really wanted to see his face when he opens up that box...but here I sit. Waiting. And thinking how absolutely UNFAIR it is that I'm always stuck here. It bugs the living shit out of me that TWO of my team members always make it out the door at 12:15 when they use their coupons. Not me. No siree. Not my luck. My luck is sitting here until after 5pm to finally discuss this damn recommendation that NEEDS to go to my client today - she's off until after Labor Day - and we need her to at least see the damn document.

I don't have a good argument to make, since really, I have to wait here until I get my work done, but it sucks when getting your work done depends on someone else to approve it. That someone else is beyond busy and may have already shuffled my papers under her stack of "I must look at this sometime today" pile.

Next Friday is the last Friday that anyone can take a coupon. I doubt I'll be able to use it next week. Hell, I doubt I'll leave here today before 4pm. GOD, sometimes I just want to shake someone.

I shouldn't sit here and hate the world because obviously there are worse things that can happen...but still...the fact remains that I don't get to enjoy the same "extras" that everyone else can enjoy. I got shafted. Again.

No comments: