Thursday, August 14, 2008

disturbing - read on CNN.com

I log onto CNN.com each morning to get my daily updates. This morning, I read that the Spanish basketball team playing in the Olympics had taken a picture of themselves, each player using their hands to slant their eyes. I find this completely disturbing and offensive.




To quote from Jose Luis Saez, president of the Spanish Basketball Federation, "It's simply ridiculous," he said. "It was a gesture of affection ... and identification with the Chinese people."

WHAT THE FUCK!? SERIOUSLY? Really? I don't find it amusing, nor do I think it's "identifying with the Chinese people." I don't understand how they could think that this type of gesture would be funny, or a sign of affection. Really? I have just lost respect for the Spanish basketball team. I feel like they are mocking us.
Madrid is in the running to host the 2016 Olympics. I hope they don't win the bid. What they should have said and done is aologize for their insensitivity and say they weren't thinking when they took that picture, not DEFEND this type of behavior. Ugh.

No comments: