Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"How did you meet"

For 99% of the people who know Steve and I, they already know this answer. But, after telling people that we're now engaged, they have a lot of the typical questions. "How'd he do it?" "How long have you been dating?" "Do you have a date?" "How did you meet?" So, I figure, for those of you who don't know, here's our story:

He was 13. I was 14. We were in Ian Zink's backyard. I was there with a few friends, he was there throwing a football around with others. We hadn't yet been introduced, so I didn't even know his name. Before I know it, my head gets SLAMMED with the football. I turn around and FREAK out on him. Why the hell would you throw a football into a crowd of people? So anyways, I wasn't very fond of him early on. Him and his black BOSS jeans and wife beater tank top on.

I started hanging out with all of those guys shortly after this incident and as it turned out, Steve and I became really good friends. People have asked numerous times, did it ever go any further than that? NO! It really didn't! He wasn't my type and he was 2 grades below me. I would go to him with guy problems, problems in general...we chatted many, many times just the two of us, trying to get through life. I have very fond memories of us sitting in the adirondack chairs on his driveway until super late at night, just chatting about life and our problems and how to get through them. Because, clearly, at 17 or 18 years old, life is HARD.

I got ditched the week before my junior prom. I didn't have a date. I pulled into Steve's driveway and cried to him about it. He offered to take me. I was excited for him to be my date, as the rest of our friends were going "as friends." It was the best time ever. I'm so glad I took Steve to my prom. We'll have those memories forever. Aaaannnnd it's super funny to see our prom pictures of when I was 17 and he was 16. Insane.

Then I find out years later that he had formed a crush on me after prom. Hmm...no wonder why he was calling me more! But I didn't find this out until probably 2-3 years after prom. I'm glad I didn't know, as I'm not sure if we would've remained as close as we did if I had known he liked me. That would have just been awkward I think.

So times goes by, I leave for college...I lose touch with all my old high school friends. All but Steve that is. We still called each other every once in a while. We still saw each other when we'd visit home for holidays or breaks. I drove my new Jetta to his house in 2003 so he could take it for a spin. I went to visit him in Chicago in 2003 and that was a bit awkward, since I could tell he would've been open to a more than platonic relationship. Fortunately though, nothing happened and it was a great time.

Finally, we're both done with school and we both have good jobs. I started hanging out again with my old high school friends and it was as though I had never left. It was so awesome. I started coming home every weekend, starting April 2004 (right before I graduated) and Steve and I were back to our old selves again. Then, one August weekend in 2005 , I invited a few people up to my condo in Buffalo. We drank ourselve stupid that weekend - hell, the bars are open til 4am!

That first night Steve and I shared a drunken kiss. For 3 weeks, we didn't talk about "the kiss" - I even asked my Buffalo friends what I should do. Do I like him? Does he like me? Was it just a drunken kiss? Does he even think about it? My friends in Buffalo told me not to risk it, what if it didn't work out and we threw our friendship out the door? Our friendship to me was/is so important that I didn't think we should proceed with a relationship. Besides, he had just gotten out of a on again off again relationship with his now stalker. He had just broken up with her 3 weeks prior to our kiss. Was I a rebound?

All my friends at home told me to go for it. They told me that he's been waiting 8 years to be with me. So I went for it. I had to. But I was still having thoughts of "do I really like him? Enough to mention it?"

Well, it was mentioned and he was all for it. I was hesitant and reluctant, but then I figured, I'd have to give my all to know if it's worth it.

And man...am I glad I took the risk! Because this whole time I was looking for my soulmate and he was right there - the entire time.

2 comments:

Jenna W said...

Don't know if your friends have thought of it -- I think they have -- but it would be cool to make a picture video of all the photos of you and Steve throughout the past 10 years to show at your wedding. I think it would be hilarious.

Lesley Rae said...

That's a great idea. I could do a slideshow at the rehearsal dinner. I'll have Nick make a video for us.