Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

We don't normally do anything outrageous for Valentine's Day. We never have. We generally do a simple card and I get some flowers and chocolate.

This year I asked Steve if there was something particular he wanted, and he replied "meatballs and sauce" (I have to get used to this answer, considering I'm about to marry an Italian man!) So I started my grocery list right away of all the stuff I'd need. You see, Grandpa Teenie's meatballs and sauce are special, very special and therefore needs special ingredients. I got up Saturday morning knowing that I'd be battling the crowds at Wegmans. I try not to go to Wegmans on the weekends, knowing how insane it can get. Or, I go when I don't have plans that day, so I can spend my time fighting for space in the aisles, finding the picked over items that I desperately need, etc. This Saturday though, I was on a mission.

I spent two hours at Wegmans and made it home by 11:00am. I started cooking right away. The meatballs and sauce taste so much better after it's been cooking for a few hours. I spent the next 3 hours leisurely making about 150 meatballs and like 14 gallons of sauce (ok, maybe not that much, but a lot!) I was going to try to make it to Michael's and Target, but I'll have to tackle those later in the week.

Steve had to work until 5pm, so that gave me plenty of time to get ready. I picked up a card and chocolate truffles and two movies. We planned on keeping it very low key. Just the way I like it. Steve made it home and we snuggled in to our movie time. We watched Wall-E (AWESOME) and The Strangers (not awesome at all). I have to say, the food was awesome as well, I wasn't sure if I had nailed the taste, but Steve said it was so close, he wouldn't have been able to tell the difference! That made me super happy, to be able to make these dishes the way Grandpa did.

Steve bought me roses, chocolate and a card. I love his cards. I love how he takes the time to write stuff in them. I keep them all in my "Steve box" that I have upstairs...it's getting full, but I hope to go back in that box when we're 90 and look back on our old memories.

Then Sunday, I got up early and hopped on the treadmill. I was showered and ready to rock by 9:30am. Korin and Jaime were coming over at 11:30 to go to bridal show together. It was held at Casa Larga, which was cool, but there were SO many people there! It was unbelievable! You have to register before going, and it seemed like they registered far too many people. As soon as we walked in, we got bombarded with vendors trying to talk to us. It was quite overwhelming, but good at the same time. I have already booked most of the services that vendors were there for. I already booked the florist, so I didn't need to stop at that booth. Same thing for venues, DJ, dresses etc. It was a good time though and we signed up for another show on March 15.

We're booking our DJ this week and sending in our $75 deposit. One more thing to cross off the list!

No comments: