Tuesday, May 19, 2009

wet clothes



I *try* to do our laundry every week. I do our combined clothes and Steve is responsible for doing his work clothes. I don't like his greasy stuff mixing with our nice clothes. So this past weekend I was going to do a load. I had to wash our comforter first, to get that out of the way. After it washed I threw it in the dryer and left it. I went back down later that day and realized it wasn't dried all the way. Ok, well, no biggie, I threw it back in and turned the timer for another hour. I figured, it was a comforter, it could've gotten tangled in there - so whatever.
Steve decides to do a load of his clothes, so I just said to hang the comforter on the treadmill and have it air dry so we could do another load. Well...this is when we realized that our dryer had shit the bed. His entire load of work clothes that he had just washed was cold and still wet after being the in the dryer for an hour. Great. It was spinning and turning on, so we would leave it, thinking it was working. We were wrong. And now we have wet clothes in our basement.

We did some preliminary research and stopped at Home Depot Sunday evening and found a pair (why not get both since our old ones are both about 20 years old and came with the house). We did more research once we got home and then stopped at Lowe's last night. Free next day delivery, haul away and hook up. We also got 12 months free financing which is cool too, we'll obviously pay if off way before that, but it's nice to know we have some time.

It's a Samsung somethingorother. I don't know the exact product name....and we were thinking about the Maytag version that's comparable, but after talking to the sales guy and a few other couples looking to buy, we heard that Maytag has all new engineers and the new machines just aren't built like they used to be. So we landed with the Samsung. It's got this cool thing (VRT) that keeps the machine from jumping around during the spin cycle. Very cool. The sales guy showed us the floor display and ran the machine for us so we could see ourselves how this technology works. The spin cycle looked like a freakin jet engine, and the machine started to freak out...then it stopped. The shaking stopped but the machine kept going. So neat to see.

Here are some pics of the floor model. We didn't get the bottom part that has drawers and keeps the units up higher.
The two units side by side
I want to push the buttons

and I want to turn the knob

They get delivered tonight, between 4-8pm. So excited. That wet laundry is probably pretty gross right now so we'll *have* to wash it again!

Steve is also building me some nice shelves and a folding area so I can keep all the laundry stuff together in one place. Right now everything is everywhere.

You know you're getting old when new appliances are SO exciting.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am so jealous!! I've wanted to get front-loaders forever now, but we just can't justify the expense when the washer and dryer we have still work fine. :(

Lesley Rae said...

I know! We love them! We had wanted new ones for so long but felt the same way as you...can't spend it if they work! So we definitely feel less guilty since hell, we have to do laundry right? Then we were thinking if we shouldn't spend THAT much...then thought that these things should last us years and years so it'd be worth it. It's energy efficient so we get a rebate from the town of $75 or something like that...and it saves a ton of water too. It's fun! I've done about 5 loads since Tuesday! :)